The Orchid Garden

November 14th, 2019

Our garden is in constant change and will always be. 
Some plants mature and others come into the garden and so the cycle never ends. 
One thing is certain, I enjoy every bit of time out here and are very thankful there are no
snowy winters. 
As I always like to say it, "It is easy to have a green thumb here in Florida".


They say Sansevieria is one of the easiest plants to take care of. 
However, I beg to differ and at times feel alone on this thought. 
It is a difficult plant for me. 
I have potted these beauties on clay and placed them indoors. 
I either water them too much or too little. 
There never seems to be a balance to my "watering style" when it comes 
to Sansevieria. 

Graveling Our BackYard

If you are like me and enjoy those beautiful sights of Old English Cottage Gardens.
Then, you will become more and more familiar with gravel.

Starting the love for gravel, I feel, it is not only simple and eco-friendly but 
natural looking. 
There are many colors and sizes on the gravel list but I have decided to 
use white and small. 
I live close to a lake, or should I say, a swamp?
Well, let's just get real here!!!!!
Last summer I spotted two Gators swimming freely. 
You get the idea.

I also, love the way National Parks use nature friendly materials to pave their
trails.
I was inspired by Biscayne National Park and this white gravel walkway along the water with the free flowing grasses and mangrove trees.
Spanish Moss. One of the favorites to hang on trees around here.
Wish my hair would grow this fast.

So I decided to remove the old bricks and replace the entire area with white clean gravel. 

It took several days to fill, not only because I decided to do the side section as well. 
Remember? That area where the pretty orchids grow? 
Yes, there. 
It gave an entire new look that I am still enjoying till today.
Not to mention that when it rains, now the water sips through the gravel floor and it is
way more cleaner.

Now the space in what I wanted. 
I have also added big ferns and potted plants along each side of the Jacuzzi
for more privacy.


This space will remain our sitting area and sometimes our homeschooling area. 
Depends on the weather. 
Those messy water coloring projects will take place here. 


As I mentioned before, the orchid space also got upgraded to gravel. 
This area, I believe has been like night and day. 


Before I would continuously fill the dirt with mulch and 
as it would rain, it would get very messy. 

Old Times. Mulch looks woody and pretty but it is messy when it rains. 

Here is how it looked a few days after the gravel.


But soon, It was filled with all the other plants that love shade. 
This is a shady spot in my garden, Thanks to my neighbor's palms on the other 
side of the fence. 

A clean and better appeal look at this space. 

My orchids love it!


Gorgeous Trees 

A few years back my father planted these two trees on my yard. 
They were thin and small. 
Now, it's a different story.
Around this time of year, they bloom and both are bright red. 
These types of trees come in different color however, I was lucky to guess the red
variety on both as it is my favorite color. 


How it All Started

Some plant vegetables gardens. Some plant miniature gardens or potted gardens
Whatever way you choose you can show your kids the world of plants 
Nurturing and be proud of their gardening success.

Video Tour of The Garden


Loving Earth and Nature for children at a young age 

Showing to care for plants is not only a botany lesson for your kids but lots of responsibility.
They will learn to care for plants with tender love and care.
Not to mention patience.


Here are some pictures of our garden and our close encounters with plants.

Orchids Care

We have a variety of plants in our yard.
However, we have become obsessed with orchids.
They seem very difficult to maintain but these little hands have proven otherwise.
We bought most of our orchids for a $1 at a local nursery. 
They were in very bad shape, reason why they were so cheap.
But,
With time we have come to understand them
and
Here they are !!!!

Orchids are among the plants that need the most  care

We started our Orchid collection long ago.
I have to say.
It started to become very expensive.
Therefore, I started digging into other ways of growing our orchids
that could also teach my son something new.

So, we started to clone them and it has worked wonders.

Potted orchids, and other plants

Because we live in Florida, the temperatures here are very humid.
There are no freezing winters so we do not need to keep our orchids inside.

Even though they make awesome arrangements.
They are mainly outside just as you see them.
Eventually I would bring them in to display and place them outside
immediately.
Orchids do suffer a lot when in pots for decorations.
Orchids on a piece of old wood with ferns and Spanish moss
We use a lot of left over wood to display them and Spanish Moss.
We personally love this because you can move them around your garden as you see fit.
I also like combining them with bromeliads.

Bromeliads tend to bring lots of mosquitoes during rainy season.
So they do need a lot of spraying and maintenance.
However, they make a really nice addition to your orchid garden or arrangements.

Blooming

Part of maintaining the Orchid Garden is fertilizing it.
So we do this weekly and never miss on it.
This will ensure your orchids will bloom.

Behind all that there is a pond with colorful fish and every now and then a frog or two

The pond came as a great addition to our yard because we had a fish tank 
that was starting to get overpopulated by fish.
So 
We added two ponds outside and here they stay.
We still breed some inside and then
bring them outside.

This is also part of our learning.
Knockdown Roses seem very resistant here in Florida.

From Orchids to growing roses and other tropical plants.
We really enjoy our garden and learn a lot from it.

A Personal Touch to our Small Garden


Besides this being our outside spot for learning about plants, birds and wild life.
It is also a retreat to relax and enjoy the weather.
We have a lot of wild life aroudn us and live close to the Everglades Park.
That being said, you might imagine what I am referring to when I say
wild life.

A sitting Place for afternoons
Here is how I also display my orchids year round. 
I like keeping them in their see through pots and just placing them in the entrance.

An entrance piece that reminds me of Hawaii


No comments:

Post a Comment